In the Map View and tracker, shiny Pokémon are shown in their regular coloration until they appear on the encounter screen or on the summary page, where they have an aura of stars around them and their different coloration is visible.
Once a player captures a shiny Pokémon, their Pokédex will show that they have captured it and additional switch buttons for shiny forms will unlock in each individual Pokédex entry.
List of Shiny Pokémon
- Main article: List of Shiny Pokémon
Almost all Shiny forms of Pokémon are currently in game data, but only some of them are currently available to obtain by players in gameplay.
Shiny Pokémon were released on following days:
- March 24th, 2017 – The first available Shiny Pokémon in the game – Shiny Magikarp and Gyarados began appearing. 
- It might be reference to original game series as Shiny Gyarados, located at the Lake of Rage, was the Pokémon used to introduce Trainers to shiny Pokémon.
- August 9th, 2017 – Shiny Pikachu, Raichu and Pichu were released on the first day of the Pokémon GO Park event, in Yokohama, Japan.
- October 20th, 2017 – Shiny Sableye began appearing on the first day of the Halloween event of 2017.
- October 26th, 2017 – Shiny Duskull and Dusclops began to appear six days into the event. 
- October 31st, 2017 – Shiny Shuppet and Banette began to appear 11 days into the event.
- December 8th, 2017 – Shiny Mawile and Absol began being available to catch in Raid Battle Bonus Challange, after main release of Hoenn-region Pokémon.
- December 21st, 2017 – Shiny Snorunt and Glalie began appearing along with release twenty Water and Ice-type Pokémon from Hoenn region and Delibird.
- January 24th, 2018 – Shiny Aron, Lairon and Aggron began appearing along with release of Ground and Rock-type Pokémon from Hoenn region.
- February 8th, 2018 – Shiny Swablu and Altaria began appearing along with release of Flying and Dragon-type Pokémon from Hoenn region.
- February 14th, 2018 – Shiny Luvdisc became available to catch in wild with the beginning of the Valentine's Day event.
- February 16th, 2018 – Shiny Poochyena and Mightyena became available to obtain with the start of Lunar New Year event.
- February 24th, 2018 – Shiny Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite began appearing on the February Community Day.
- March 16th, 2018 – Shiny Lugia was made available to be caught in Raid Battle Bonus Challange with the second temporal release of it as a Legendary Raid Boss.
- Shiny Lugia is the first Shiny Legendary Pokémon available in the game.
- March 22nd, 2018 – Shiny Magby, Togepi, Wynaut and their families were released with the beginning of the Eggstravaganza.
- March 25th, 2018 – Shiny Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur became available on the March Community Day.
- March 31st, 2018 – Shiny Murkrow became available to capture with the start of April Fools' Day.
- April 15th, 2018 – Shiny Mareep, Flaaffy and Ampharos became available on the April Community Day.
- April 23rd, 2018 – Shiny Wailmer and Wailord became available with the start of the Earth Day event.
- May 1st, 2018 – Shiny Makuhita, Hariyama, Meditite and Medicham became available with the start of the Battle Showdown event.
- May 19th, 2018 – Shiny Ho-Oh was made available to be caught in Raid Battle Bonus Challenge with the its second temporal release as a Legendary Raid Boss.
- May 19th, 2018 – Shiny Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard became available on the May Community Day.
- May 24th, 2018 – Shiny Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops and Aerodactyl were released with the start of the Adventure Week event.
- June 7th, 2018 – Shiny Shellder, Cloyster and Kyogre became available with the beginning of the Water Festival event.
- June 16th, 2018 – Shiny Larvitar, Pupitar and Tyranitar became available on the June Community Day.
- June 30th, 2018 – Shiny Roselia was released with the beginning of the Pokémon GO Safari Zone in Dortmund.
- July 7th, 2018 – Shiny Articuno became available to capture on the Articuno Day mini event.
- July 8th, 2018 – Shiny Squirtle, Wartortle and Blastoise became available on the July Community Day.
- July 14th, 2018 – Shiny Plusle and Minun were released with the beginning of the 2018 edition of Pokémon GO Fest.
- July 21st, 2018 – Shiny Zapdos became available to capture on the Zapdos Day mini event.
- August 1st, 2018 – Shiny Snubbull, Granbull, Houndour and Houndoom became available.
- August 11th, 2018 – Shiny Eevee and its branched evolutionary line became available to capture on the August Community Day.
- August 20th, 2018 – Shiny Natu, Xatu, Sunkern, Sunflora, Pineco and Forretress became available with the start of the Johto Festival.
- August 29th, 2018 – Shiny Wingull and Pelipper became available with the start of the Safari Zone event in Yokosuka, Japan.
- September 1st, 2018 – Shiny Growlithe and Arcanine were released to the gameplay.
- September 8th, 2018 – Shiny Moltres became available to capture on the Moltres Day mini event.
- September 13th, 2018 – Shiny Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Grimer and Muk became available with the start of Ultra Bonus Event.
- September 22nd, 2018 – Shiny Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium became available on the September Community Day.
- October 1st, 2018 – Shiny Krabby and Kingler became available.
- October 5th, 2018 – Shiny Drowzee and Hypno became available with the start of Psychic Spectacular.
- October 11th, 2018 – Shiny Nidoran♀, Nidorina and Nidoqueen became a available in celebration of International Day of the Girl Child.
- October 16th, 2018 – Shiny Shinx, Luxio and Luxray were released.
- October 21st, 2018 – Shiny Beldum, Metang and Metagross became available on the October Community Day.
- October 23rd, 2018 – Shiny Drifloon and Drifblim became available with the start of Halloween.
- November 1st, 2018 – Shiny Pinsir was released with the start of Safari Zone in Tainan.
- November 1st, 2018 – Shiny Caterpie, Metapod and Butterfree became available.
- November 3rd, 2018 – Shiny Gengar became available from Raid Battles during the Special Raid Challenge. After the challenge had ended, Niantic announced that Shiny Gastly became available in the wild.
- November 5th, 2018 – Shiny Cubone, Marowak, Alolan Marowak, Ponyta and Rapidash became available.
- November 10th, 2018 – Shiny Cyndaquil, Quilava and Typhlosion became available on the November Community Day.
- A shiny Pokémon may not appear shiny to nearby Trainers.
- Shiny Pokémon cannot be batch-transferred, and Trainers will be notified if they try to transfer them.
- Shiny Pokémon remains shiny after being evolved.
- Also Pokémon cannot become shiny via evolving non-shiny one.
- In the main Pokémon series, the Gold and Silver versions were the first games to introduce shiny Pokémon.
- Unlike the case with seeing regular Pokémon in the Gym, seeing Shiny Pokémon in the Gym for the first time, before capturing them, won't unlock the Pokémon's shiny form switches in Pokédex summary page.
- There are also no file assets for form switches of only-seen Shiny Pokémon in Pokédex.
- Registering a shiny Pokémon will also register the non-shiny form to the Pokédex, if the Pokémon was not previously registered.
- During the Halloween event in 2017, there were shiny forms of Gastly family members added to game data, although they weren't released to be caught in gameplay. 
- Along with each release of selected Pokémon from Hoenn region, there are added to game data all of the sprites for shiny forms of respective Pokémon. 
- Along with releases of new Legendary Raid Bosses, assets for Shiny Forms of these Legendary Pokémon are also added to the game.
- Shiny Zapdos was temporally available from Raid Battle in 2017 due to game creators' mistake.
- Between April 7th and 10th, players started noticing that 2D sprites of Kanto- and Johto-region Pokémon had changed, thus they started speculating that during the Kanto Celebration event some or even more of shiny variants of these Kanto Pokémon might be released. 
- Moreover, Reddit user u/Chrales through the data-mining found and revealed that in fact plenty of 2D sprites for shiny variants of Kanto- and Johto-region Pokémon had been added to the game server. However none of these Shiny Pokémon had their in-game 3D models added by that time. 
- Despite all of these 2D sprites of Shiny Pokémon being added to the game, none of Pokémon had their shiny variant released during the Kanto Celebration event.
- On each Community Day there is significantly higher chance to encounter shiny form of featured Pokémon that generally spawns more often during this event.
- Research estimates that there was a 1 in 22.7 chance of capturing a Shiny Pikachu during the first Community Day.
- ↑ Shiny Magikarp Spotted!. Pokémon GO Live. Retrieved on 2017-03-28.
- ↑ Just caught a shiny Duskull. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2017-10-31.
- ↑ Shiny Shuppet is out!. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2017-11-01.
- ↑ ReversalOnYouTube. (2018, September 28). Shiny Krabby/Kingler & 3rd Spinda Quest to be released 1st October 1PM PDT. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-09-29.
- ↑ PokemonGoApp. (2018, October 11). Trainers, a greater number of female Pokémon have now been spotted in the wild until October 12 at 1 p.m. PDT. Keep an eye out, as lucky Trainers might also spot a Shiny Nidoran, Nidorina, or Nidoqueen!. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018-10-11.
- ↑ NianticHelp. (2018, November 3). Shiny Gastly is available now in the wild. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018-11-03.
- ↑ Shiny Cubone. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-11-05.
- ↑ Alolan Marowak Shiny available in raids. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-11-05.
- ↑ Shiny Ponyta!. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-11-05.
- ↑ SerebiiNet. (2018, November 5). Serebii Update: Shiny Cubone and Shiny Ponyta to be added to Pokémon GO in an event celebration of the release of Niantic's other game, Ingress Prime. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018-11-05.
- ↑ Gastly family shiny 3D assets. "/r/TheSilphRoad."
- ↑ gen3 sprites with all shinies !/r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- ↑ It seems a decent amount of the sprites have changed shades of color. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-04-20.
- ↑ u/Chrales all gen1 and gen2 new shiny pokémon added. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-04-20.
- ↑ Estimating Community Day's Boosted Shiny Rate. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-02-25.