In the Map View and Sightings view, Shiny Pokémon are shown in their regular coloration until they appear on the encounter screen or on the summary page, where they have an aura of stars around them, a shiny tab shown above the CP and their different coloration is visible.
A Shiny Pokémon from the same spawn point may not and probably will not appear shiny to other Trainers.
Once a player captures a shiny Pokémon, their Pokédex will show that they have captured it and additional switch buttons for shiny forms will unlock in each individual Pokédex entry.
List of Shiny Pokémon
Almost all Shiny forms of Pokémon are currently in game assets, but only part of them are currently available to obtain by players in the gameplay.
- For list of Shiny Pokémon that are available in the game, see here: List of Shiny Pokémon
- For list of Shiny Pokémon by their release date, see here: List of Shiny Pokémon release dates
- For comparison of regular and shiny sprites of Pokémon, see here: List of Shiny Pokémon comparison
- Normally, evolved stages of Pokémon cannot be shiny in encounter screen, including Pokémon evolved from Baby Pokémon (except Pikachu, Chansey, Mr. Mime and Roselia). As a result, evolved shiny Pokémon can only obtained by evolution. There were exceptions in events such as:
- Nidorina and Nidoqueen in Female Day;
- Gengar and Kanto starters in Special Raid Challenge;
- Party hat Raticate and Wobbuffet;
- Gyarados and Magmar in Lunar New Year 2020. Magmar still can be found shiny in the wild after the event;
- Sudowoodo in Tricky Pokémon. Sudowoodo still can be found shiny in the wild after the event;
- Marill in Spring Event; Marill still can be found shiny in the wild after the event;
- Wobbuffet in Pokémon Spotlight Hour. Wobbuffet still can be found shiny in the wild after the event;
- Clefairy in Summer Solstice.
- Shiny Pokémon cannot be batch-transferred, and Trainers will be notified if they try to transfer them.
- Shiny Pokémon remains shiny after being evolved.
- Also Pokémon cannot become shiny via evolving a non-shiny one.
- Unlike the case with seeing regular Pokémon in the Gym, seeing Shiny Pokémon in the Gym for the first time, before capturing them, won't unlock the Pokémon's shiny form switches in Pokédex summary page.
- There are also no file assets for form switches of only-seen Shiny Pokémon in Pokédex.
- Registering a shiny Pokémon will also register the non-shiny form to the Pokédex, if the Pokémon was not previously registered.
- Shiny Legendary Pokémon have a 100% catch rate in Raid Battles (unless certain GPS error occurs), but remain the same catch rate in Research Breakthrough.
- Sableye, Mawile, Absol, Budew, Roserade, Honchkrow, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss, Dusknoir, Mamoswine, Magnezone, Leafeon, Glaceon, Mime Jr. and the evolution lines of Snorunt, Aron, Swablu, Shinx, Drifloon, Clamperl, Patrat, Lillipup, Klink, Yamask and Minccino are the Pokémon to have both regular and shiny forms released at the same time.
- In the main Pokémon series, the Gold and Silver versions were the first games to introduce shiny Pokémon.
- Along with releases of new Legendary Raid Bosses in 2017, assets for shiny forms of these Legendary Pokémon are also added to the game.
- Shiny Zapdos was temporally available from Raid Battle in 2017 due to game creators' mistake.
- During the Halloween event in 2017, there were shiny forms of Gastly family members added to game data, although they weren't released to be caught in gameplay. 
- Along with each release of selected Pokémon from Hoenn region, there are added to game data all of the sprites for shiny forms of respective Pokémon. 
- Since then, the shiny sprites of later regions are added to the game with their normal versions.
- Between April 7th and 10th, players started noticing that 2D sprites of Kanto- and Johto-region Pokémon had changed, thus they started speculating that during the Kanto Celebration event some or even more of shiny variants of these Kanto Pokémon might be released. 
- Moreover, Reddit user u/Chrales through the data-mining found and revealed that in fact plenty of 2D sprites for shiny variants of Kanto- and Johto-region Pokémon had been added to the game server. However none of these Shiny Pokémon had their in-game 3D models added by that time. 
- Despite all of these 2D sprites of Shiny Pokémon being added to the game, none of Pokémon had their shiny variant released during the Kanto Celebration event.
- On each Community Day there is significantly higher chance to encounter shiny form of featured Pokémon that generally spawns more often during this event.
- Research estimates that there was a 1 in 22.7 chance of capturing a shiny Pikachu during the first Community Day.
- Shiny Shuckle became available for a short period of time before that start of the Safari Zone in Sentosa.
- ↑ Gastly family shiny 3D assets. "/r/TheSilphRoad."
- ↑ gen3 sprites with all shinies !/r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- ↑ It seems a decent amount of the sprites have changed shades of color. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-04-20.
- ↑ u/Chrales all gen1 and gen2 new shiny pokémon added. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-04-20.
- ↑ Estimating Community Day's Boosted Shiny Rate. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2018-02-25.
- ↑ Shiny Shuckle leaked early?. /r/TheSilphRoad. Retrieved on 2019-04-18.