Research tasks and rewards
- Main article: List of Field Research tasks and rewards
Field Research are tasks that can be gathered by spinning nearby PokéStops (Gyms do not work). Each PokéStop can only give one task per day. Each PokéStop changes the tasks at 00:00 AM local time per day. Once the Trainer has completed that PokéStop's task for the day, a small icon in top right displays this at the PokéStop.
Field Research tasks have objectives that include catching certain Pokémon, performing basic actions in the game or battling in Gyms or Raid Battles. These tasks are directed as more casual so players can complete them in 15 to 30 minutes. 
While Special Research tasks have specific rewards for each task and each set of tasks, for Field Research there seems to be variety of different rewards for each task completed. The more difficult the task, the greater the reward. Trainer can have up to three Field Research tasks at a time, but they can be also cancelled at any time, so other tasks can be gathered (trainer can obtain the deleted one from the same PokéStop during the same day). There is no limit to the number of research tasks that can be completed each day.  It is possible to obtain multiples of the same task from different PokéStops during the same day; in this case, a single action will count towards progress for both of them.
Beginning in 2019, there has been a Limited Research event. During the event, PokéStops will assign tasks to Trainers and reward them with a featured Pokémon. The Pokémon that is rewarded will have a chance to be shiny.
Daily, the Trainer receives a bonus Field Research task automatically. The tab is made light green in color to be recognized. A fourth slot will be opened for the bonus task if the three Field Research tabs are filled. However, if all four Field Research slots are filled, Trainer won't receive the bonus task.
This feature was introduced on April 30th, 2020. The research was the same for all Trainers on the first day, but then it can vary.
- Main article: Special Research
Special Research are campaigns split into parts with sets of unique tasks requested by Professor Willow himself. Each Special Research task can be completed only once per player and for each set of three Special Research tasks there are unique special rewards. 
Stamps and Research Breakthrough
- Main article: List of Research Breakthrough rewards
Trainers can earn one Stamp per-day by claiming the reward from a Field Research task. Once seven stamps have been obtained, a Research Breakthrough can be achieved. 
The stamp is earned upon claiming the task's reward, not when the task is completed, so if you complete two tasks in a day, you can opt to save one to get another stamp for tomorrow by not claiming one of them. For Pokémon appearance rewards, tapping claim reward will give you the stamp, not when you actually catch them.
It is currently unknown what is the purpose of Special Research stamps that are present in the game files, as only Field Research stamps can be currently obtained by players.
Preview of research screens
- Few mentions about this game feature was found in the game code few times before it was finally implemented and released, by the name '
- The research feature launched on March 30th, 2018.
- According to game creators, research tasks are designed to be exciting and promote exploration with skillful challenges so that encountering Pokémon should never feel like a chore. 
- Research tasks icon has the same location on the Map View screen that the weather icon used to use.
- Hence, the weather icon is now placed above the compass icon.
- The same Field Research task can be obtained from one, particular PokéStop during the day, so more than one player can have the same task with the same reward simultaneously, and if discarded it will only give the same task during that day.
- Until game update to version 0.103.3, the Field Research stamps progress was displayed above the tabs with Field and Special Research tasks which made this progress graphic visible above both Field and Special Research tasks. This caused confusion to many players.
- Now as tabs has been moved to the top of the page, the Research Breakthrough progress graphic with stamps is visible only in the Field Research tasks tab and not any more above Special Research tasks.
- Pokémon encounters from Field Research are considered to be caught at the location of the PokéStop the task is obtained.
- Unlike the Field Research tasks, there is no possibility to cancel nor skip any of Special Research tasks in order to complete the set of tasks.
- More than one set of Special Research tasks can be completed within a day.
- Special Researches related with Trading, sending Gifts and making Friends are pre-completed for Trainers under age of 13, since these don't have access to such game features.
- Megathread on TheSilphRoad's subreddit on gathering data about Research tasks
- Thread on TheSilphRoad's subreddit with all in-game messages and text related to Research tasks feature
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Trainers, It’s Time to Conduct Important Pokémon Research!. Pokémon GO Live. Retrieved on 2018-03-26.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Developer Insights: How We Built the Research Feature. Pokémon GO Live. Retrieved on 2018-03-29.
- ↑ New ways to raid, power up your Pokémon, receive Gifts to send out, and more. Pokémon GO Live. Retrieved on 2020-04-18.
- ↑ Research Mew in Pokémon GO!. Pokémon News. Retrieved on 2018-03-26.