|This page is not written as well as it could be or contains outdated information. It will be corrected soon.|
|This article contains old or outdated information, or has not been updated in a while. It will be updated soon.|
In the game there are and were several more and less known technical issues such as bugs and glitches.
These are issues acknowledged by Niantic on their support page. They offer some possible solutions to these issues.
PokéCoins and premium items do not appear in trainer's account
Please try the following steps if you’re having trouble seeing PokéCoins or premium items in your account:
- Sign out and sign back into Pokémon GO. Open Pokémon GO, touch Main Menu > Settings and then select "Sign out."
- If that does not resolve the issue, try powering off your device and restarting.
Receive 'You already own this item' error message (Android only)
If your device loses internet connectivity while purchasing PokéCoins from the shop, you may receive the “You already own this item” error message. Please power off and restart your device to resolve this issue.
Trainer progress temporarily resets to Level 1
You may have inadvertently created two Pokémon GO accounts: one account using Google and one using Pokémon Trainer Club. If you create an account with one login method and later attempt to use the other login method, a second account is created. To resolve this issue, log out of your account via the Settings menu and then log back in with your original login method.
In some situations, music and sound effects within Pokémon GO app may become distorted or delayed. This issue often occurs while connected to Bluetooth audio. Niantic stands that they are aware of the issue and we are actively working on a solution.
Heavy battery use
Some devices may experience battery drain while playing Pokémon GO for prolonged periods of time. We are working on a solution.
We're constantly working to improve GPS accuracy and stability. In general, GPS accuracy largely depends on the device you're using and your signal/connection strength. To improve your device's location, please review the following settings:
- Pokémon GO has location permissions enabled
- Internet connectivity is enabled (3G, 4G, Wi-Fi)
- Device location/GPS is enabled
- Location/GPS set to high-accuracy mode
Receive 'This item is not available in your country' error when trying to download the app.
Please check your Google Wallet settings to ensure your address is based in the proper country. If this doesn't work, you could also try reaching out to the Google Play support team via their Help Center.
These are glitches, issues and bugs reported by the community of players frequently. Most of them are currently resolved and can be called "historical".
Lucky pokemon IV floor
Immediately after the release of lucky pokemon on July 25, 2018 12:00PM PST traded pokemon that became lucky had no IV floor, and 0-IV lucky pokemon were obtained. This was surprising since these trades were ignoring the IV floor from friendship level. This bug was resolved around 2:00PM PST the same day, and lucky pokemon obtained after this point in time have an IV floor of 10/10/10.
From time to time, random Pokémon will show up as invisible, though you can still interact with them. This can happen in gyms, in the Pokédex, in storage, or while battling. This is generally fixed by exiting the screen and coming back, or in the case of gym battles, switching your Pokémon out for another one on your team or running and coming back.
From time to time, after you pass a Pokéstop it will still show up as spinnable, if you tap on it it'll show up as out of range and be unspinnable.
Out of range Pokémon
When a Pokémon spawns, sometimes when you leave it's range instead of disappearing, it will sit there until it despawns, despite the fact that it's out of range. This glitch seems to happen more with common Pokémon such as Pidgey or Rattata.
Broken Poké Balls
When catching a Pokémon the Poké Ball will often freeze in catching position, in mid air, halfway through a throw, or just plain freeze after a Pokémon has been caught. There is no real fix for this, sometimes it'll unfreeze after a few seconds, in other cases you'll have to reload the game.
Due to the games slowness to update, an egg may show up as ready to hatch but still won't hatch. This is generally fixed by walking a little bit until the egg decides to hatch.
Often times, while standing still, your buddy may find candy, you may hatch an egg, or you'll get a "You're going too fast notice" this is caused by the GPS messing up, causing your character to walk and there is no real way to prevent it.
Back in August their was an update that brought this glitch, in this glitch the Pokémon you capture could wind up changing to something else in your bag. For example, your 52 CP Poliwag could become a 52 CP Rattata. The Pokémon would keep it's stats and CP after it changes.
While playing, some roads just won't appear on the screen. The only known fix for this is to reload the game.
Rattata Poké Ball
At one time, there was a glitch where you could switch out your Poké Balls for a Rattata, but it has since been patched out.
In this glitch the Pokémon's body will show up black, and only there eyes will be normal.
A glitch in unity that isn't loading the body material associated with the model. They have separate materials for body and eyes so they can animate the eyes. The glitch can happen to both already captured Pokemon and wild Pokemon.
This glitch may also happen to a trainer, with only their belt showing up, as it is on a separate layer. It will generally happen if you leave the app, but don't close it, when you reopen you'll be a Ninja for a few seconds.
When a Pokémon despawns, sometimes it doesn’t get removed from your nearby Pokémon list and will permanently appear to be 3 steps away. To clear out the phantoms and leave only the real Pokémon on your tracker, close the app and reopen it.
Sometimes when fighting an enemy gym, the opposing Pokémon cannot be reduced below 1HP and continues to damage your Pokémon. If you run away or are defeated, all of your Pokémon are at full life as if they had never entered the combat.
This giant leg glitch shows the leg of your character with the customize character option on the right side. The game will still continue working but the giant leg will be annoying in the screen. If your character walks or run, the giant character will also run and will result to covering of the areas where you are in. According to the players who have experienced the glitch, the only way to get rid of the giant leg glitch is to restart the game.
There used to be a glitch where you could get an egg in a gym, it had 0 HP and dealt no damage, however, it was impossible to defeat. This is still in the game, however you'll be banned for doing it.
If you tap a Pokémon on the map right as it disappears, it would turn into a miniature version of itself, playing animations in the capture screen (moving around, jumping, attacking) while you stay in the map screen and cannot act.
After introducing information about the place and time of obtained Pokémon Eggs to the screen with detail view, for a short time period it was showing the date "May 15, 2016". Only the date was glitched as the area of PokéStop that the egg came from was right.
Moreover, Pokémon GO came out on July 6, 2016, two months after May 15.
There was a glitch that made a Substitute appear on top of a Gym. There was no reasoning behind why this was happening. Multiple users have reported seeing the Substitute appear, and when they clicked on it — it caused their game to crash.
A Substitute appears in the main series of the Pokémon games, when a Pokémon uses the move by the same name.
Sometimes when interacting with a wild Pokémon, it will appear that a berry has been already used on the Pokémon. The berry that appears is a hang-over from the last usage of a berry on a prior Pokémon interaction. This was reportedly fixed on Aug 7, 2018 (version 0.111.4.)
Starting on Aug 7, 2018 (version 0.111.4,) a different berry bug could occur that results in a game crash. To replicate the bug, the player needs to run from a berried pokemon and then interact with the pokemon again.
- Occasional game freezes when catching Pokémon after the Pokémon enters the Poké Ball.
- If you open the items menu while a Pokémon is running away, the game will freeze and must be restarted.
- Activating Battery Saver mode seems to cause an increase in game freezes on some phones.
- Pressing on a Gym far away to you sometimes causes a freeze.
- When leveling up, the game will sometimes not display the "Level up!" animation or list the items received. The player seems to still receive those items though.
- When throwing a Poké Ball, it will sometimes curve without you meaning to. This is mostly seen when using a Razz Berry. To counter this, intentionally throw a curveball.
- When you are logged out, and you have your account‘s password and username right, the game will say that you have your account’s username or password wrong. But if you do not change anything, and press okay, it will soon log you in.
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/91v1nq/lucky_pokemon_live/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/91v6d2/traded_with_an_ultra_friend_and_got_1250_iv_lucky/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/91vwqe/did_they_fix_the_lucky_pok%C3%A9mon_iv_bug/
- ↑ Pokémon Go bug Turns Pokeball into Rattata. YouTube. Retrieved on 2017-03-27.
- ↑ The New York Times 0 CP egg on a gym - Pokemon Go. YouTube. Retrieved on 2017-03-27.
- ↑ Substitute model appears in the game?. Pokemon GO Game Press. Retrieved on 2017-03-27.
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/957l1n/the_berry_bug_has_been_fixed_in_v01114/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/957prm/how_to_crash_on_01114/