GO Battle League is a feature in Pokémon GO that allows trainers to battle opponents around the globe in online Trainer Battles. The feature is released on January 29th, 2020. It is only available to Trainers level 10 and up. Only one Pokémon of a single species can be assigned to a Battle Party.
It is currently at Season 1. The formats are:
- Great League: March 13th, 2020 to March 27th, 2020
- Ultra League: March 27th, 2020 to April 10th, 2020
- Master League: April 10th, 2020 to April 24th, 2020
- All three Leagues: April 24th, 2020 to May 1st, 2020
Entering GO Battle League
To access GO Battle League in game:
Participation in GO Battle League requires unlocking a GO Battle League set, which grants you access to play a series of 5 matches. Your first set is free, and you can unlock future sets by walking 3 km.
You can view your progress towards earning a set on the Battle page, plus you'll receive an in-app notification and see a red dot on the Main Menu's Battle button when you’ve unlocked a set. Trainers can only unlock a maximum of 5 sets per day, but can still accumulate distance for the future's set.
Ranks and Ratings
Rank is a measure how many matches you've played and/or won. Once you attain a new rank, you cannot drop below it for the rest of the season. Reaching rank 7 can see your rating. Losses do not affect rank but lower matchmaking rating. Ending a season with a higher rank results in better end-of-season rewards.
Only playing the GO Battle League global matching system influences the GO Battle League Rank.
|Rank 2||Complete 5 Battles|
|Rank 3||Win 2 Battles (after reaching rank 2)|
|Rank 4||Win 3 more Battles|
|Rank 5||Win 5 more Battles|
|Rank 6||Win 7 more Battles|
|Rank 7||Win 10 more Battles|
|Rank 8||Reach rating of 2000+|
|Rank 9||Reach rating of 2500+|
|Rank 10||Reach rating of 3000+|
Before beginning a set, pick the type of rewards you wish to receive (Basic Rewards or Premium Rewards) before searching for a match. You must exchange a Premium Battle Pass to receive Premium Rewards. Winning a match unlocks one reward.
The random items include:
Reaching rank 10 can earn avatar items and an avatar pose inspired by Steven.
Higher ranks include Pokémon rewarded in lower ranks. The Pokémon are set at level 20 with IV floor of 10/10/10. Metagross is the first guaranteed encounter. Pikachu Libre is the first encounter in rank 10, one only.
|Unlock Rank||Possible Pokémon Encounters|
- Elite Charged TM (rank 7 or above)
Battling has been a core part of the Pokémon universe since the very beginning. This new feature that will build upon Trainer Battles, the current form of player vs. player battling that exists within Pokémon GO. Like many Pokémon GO features, GO Battle League will encourage players to get out and explore the world with Pokémon. Trainers will be able to walk in order to earn entry into the GO Battle League, then battle opponents from around the globe through an online matching system and rise in the ranks of the league. This feature should make the Pokémon GO battling experience more competitive and accessible to more Trainers.
- January 29th, 2020 - GO Battle League was open being available for players level 40
- Two hours later - GO Battle League was made available for players level 37 and above
- One hour later - GO Battle League was made available for players level 35 and above
- January 30th, 2020 - GO Battle League was made available for players level 33 and above
- Two hours later - GO Battle League was made available for players level 30 and above
- January 31st, 2020 - GO Battle League was made available for players level 10 and above
- ↑ Battle other Trainers globally soon—the GO Battle League has started rolling out!. Pokémon GO Live. Retrieved on 2020-01-30.
- ↑ NianticHelp. Trainers, for the next 30 days, we will be making the following changes for GO Battle League and Trainer Battles with friends:. Twitter. Retrieved on 2020-03-14.
- ↑ Coming 2020: GO Battle League. Pokémon GO Live. Retrieved on 2019-10-21.