Candy is a consumable, Pokémon family-related resource that can be used to strengthen Pokémon. Candy is acquired by various ways such as capturing Pokémon (3 for first evolution form, 5 for second evolution form, 10 for last evolution form), or hatching eggs (various amounts). One can double the amount of candies one gets by giving the Pokémon a Pinap Berry before catching it.
Pokémon power up
Candies can be also used to evolve Pokémon that are capable of evolving. Evolving a Pokemon can cost 12, 25, 50, 100, 200, or 400 pieces of candy.
Second Charged Attack unlock
Candies can be also used to unlock the second Charged Attack of Pokémon with more than one Charged Attack. Unlock cost can be 25, 50, 75, or 100 pieces of candy.
The type of Candy the player receives is specific to the Pokémon. There are several ways to obtain candy for each Pokémon:
- Catching Pokémon – depends on stage of Pokémon evolution:
- 1st stage form of Pokémon evolution – 3 Candies
- 2nd stage form of Pokémon evolution – 5 Candies
- 3rd stage form of Pokémon evolution – 10 Candies
- double Candy count if the Pokemon was fed with a Pinap Berry
- Hatching Pokémon Egg – depends on type of egg:
- 2-km Eggs – 5 to 15 Candies
- 5- and 7-km Eggs – 10 to 21 Candies
- 10-km and 12-km Eggs – 16 to 32 Candies
- Transfer of Pokémon – gives back 1 Candy
- evolving a Pokémon – gives back 1 Candy, even if Pokémon was evolved for no Candy with Trade Discount
- using Rare Candy – a 1 Candy for a 1 Rare Candy
- from Buddy Pokémon mechanic
- feeding berries to a Pokémon at a gym – extremely rarely
- trading Pokémon – depends on distance:
- Pokémon caught below 10-km apart from each other – 1 Candy
- Pokémon caught from 10- to 100-km apart from each other – 2 Candies
- Pokémon caught above 100-km apart from each other – 3 Candies
Each evolutionary line has its own candy type. Each one represents the base form and is identified by its primary and secondary colors.
Candy XL was introduced with GO Beyond, as Pokémon can also reach level 50 like Trainer. Candy XL is unlocked after Trainer reaches level 40. It is only visible in Pokémon summary page once Trainer has obtained at least one Candy XL of that Pokémon.
Candy XL is consumed instead of regular Candy to power up Pokémon above level 40. It is also family-specific. 100 regular Candy can be converted into a single Candy XL. There are other ways to obtain Candy XL, but all of them occur randomly.
- Catching and transferring Pokémon can give 1 to 3 Candy XL. The higher the Pokémon level, the higher chance to receive more Candy XL.
- Hatching Pokémon
- Trading Pokémon. The chance of receiving a Candy XL will increase the greater the distance between Pokémon catch locations are.
- Walking with Buddy Pokémon
Similarity, each Candy XL shares the same color combination as their regular version. An item called Rare Candy XL functions like Rare Candy.
In Kanto Celebration 2018, the number of candy received from evolution and feeding in Gyms was also doubled.
|Event and date||Catching||Hatching||Transferring||Buddy distance|
(October 26th, 2016 - November 1st, 2016)
|Valentine's Day 2017
(February 8th, 2017 - February 15th, 2017)
|Adventure Week 2017
(May 18th, 2017 - May 25th, 2017)
(October 20th, 2017 - November 2nd, 2017)
|Kanto Celebration 2018
(April 10th, 2018 - April 17th, 2018)
|Adventure Week 2018
(May 24th, 2018 - June 5th, 2018)
|Water Festival 2018
(June 7th, 2018 - June 21st, 2018)
|Global Challenge 2018 2nd part
(July 16th, 2018 - July 23rd, 2018)
(October 23rd, 2018 - November 1st, 2018)
|Part of Holiday 2018
(December 18th, 2018 - December 22nd, 2018)
|Adventure Sync Hatchathon
(January 2nd, 2019 - January 15th, 2019)
|Valentine's Day 2019
(February 13th, 2019 - February 21st, 2019)
(April 16th, 2019 - April 23rd, 2019)
|Earth Day 2019
(April 29th, 2019 - May 2nd, 2019)
|×2 (specific event spawns only)|
|Adventure Week 2019
(June 4th, 2019 - June 11th, 2019)
|Global Challenge 2019 1st part
(June 18th, 2019 - June 25th, 2019)
|Water Festival 2019
(August 23rd, 2019 - August 30th, 2019)
|×2||×0.5 (Water-type only)|
(October 17th, 2019 - November 1st, 2019)
|Part of Holiday 2019
(December 24th, 2019 - December 25th, 2019)
(January 2nd, 2020 - January 16th, 2020)
|Valentine's Day 2020
(February 14th, 2020 - February 17th, 2020)
(April 9th, 2020 - April 16th, 2020)
(April 21st, 2020 - April 27th, 2020)
|Throwback Challenge 2020: Hoenn
(May 15th, 2020 - May 22nd, 2020)
|The Seasons Change: Part 1
(October 9th, 2020 - October 12th, 2020)
|×2 (Pinap Berry only)|
(October 23rd, 2020 - November 3rd, 2020)
|Part of Holiday 2020
(December 24th, 2020 - December 25th, 2020)
(December 31st, 2020 - January 4th, 2021)
|Spring into Spring
(April 4th, 2021 - April 8th, 2021)
(September 5th, 2021)
- Number of Candy types is equal to number of Pokémon families available currently in the game.
- Candy XL from catching evolved Pokémon, trading and walking were introduced on March 11th, 2021.
- GO Beyond: Level up redesign coming soon; level cap increased to 50!. Pokémon GO Live. Retrieved on 2020-11-18.